How do I format a date? is this possible with JQ Brick?

Hi Everyone!

I’m using the following bricks for this scenario…
PixieBrix Session Reader → getting @session.timestamp
Parse Date → Input ( @session.timestamp )
→ Output ( @parsedDate.local.date )

My output for Parse Date is usually having MM/dd/yyyy format but for 1 user its having an output of dd/MM/yyyy? is the format output dependent on the system date format?

Do you have any brick/approach to force the output as MM/dd/yyyy regardless of the system date format?

Thank you!

Hi @ryan.m, thanks for the question!

The timestamp from the session reader is in ISO 8601 - Wikipedia, so will always have the order YYYY-MM-DD

For the Parse Date brick, the date field is using the locale-aware date of the user: Date.prototype.toLocaleDateString() - JavaScript | MDN. So the value will currently depend on what the user has their browser settings set to

Unfortunately, there isn’t a a way to detect what the user’s locale setting is to know if you need to swap the order. Therefore, you’d need to use the iso8601 field

I will open up a ticket here to provide a locale argument the parse date brick: Provide locale argument to parse date brick · Issue #3690 · pixiebrix/pixiebrix-extension · GitHub

If you need to get a consistent order, you can transform the ISO date using the JQ brick (using regular expressions). Here’s an example: jq play

Let us know if that works for your use case!

Hi @todd,

I tried using the JQ Brick with the regex you provided.
However my concern with the provided expression is below…

• out of x number of users only few people are having their browser date format as dd/mm/yyyy
  • with the expression provided. people with dd/mm/yyyy format will have the mm/dd/yyyy format. (correct/desired)
  • however, those people (majority) with desired browser date format of mm/dd/yyyy, after using the expression will be changed to dd/mm/yyyy.

Im testing this out by changing my chrome’s language to English ( UK ) for me to have dd/mm/yyyy format, then revert to English ( US ) to return to mm/dd/yyyy.

@ryan.m For your use case, what you’ll want to do is use the ISO 8601 formatted date which is an international standard which will always start with YYYY-MM-DD.

In the parsed date brick, that will be on: @parsedDate.local.iso8601

The regular expression you need to use will be slightly different: jq play, using the - to match the hyphens in the date and with the correct ordering in the capture

.date | capture("(?<year>\\d+)-(?<month>\\d+)-(?<day>\\d+)") | [.day, .month, .year] | join("/")

Let us know if this helps!