Define custom bricks

The Page Editor has many bricks to choose from, such as “Yelp search in new tab” which is shown in this tutorial: Search Yelp Reviews from OpenTable (6 min)

How do I define my own custom bricks and make them available in the Page Editor?

1 Like

Hey @mike,

You can create custom bricks using the brick editor in the “Workshop” tab of the extension.

I’ve been experimenting with creating custom bricks from the editor from the “+ Create New Brick” button (I am new to the editor myself). However, the “references” tab in the editor can give you ideas for in input schema for custom bricks, and it looks like you can also work off templates below the editor in the “Load new template” dropdown. However, it’s not clear to me where to find documentation for other pieces of the input schema that define things like the metadata and brick “kind.” Maybe @todd can weigh in on this.

Although, for creating custom search in a new tab from a context menu like the “search Yelp Reviews” in the tutorial, it might be easiest (and quickest) to use the built-in “Open Tab” brick for the website you’d like to search.

Let me know if this helps! I’d be happy to dive deeper into this with clarification.

1 Like

However, it’s not clear to me where to find documentation for other pieces of the input schema that define things like the metadata and brick “kind.” Maybe @todd can weigh in on this.

Thanks, Misha!

A good source of information for using the YAML-based workshop is our Developer Guide

Over the next 1-2 weeks we’ll be working on also improving our in-workshop documentation in a couple ways:

• More templates for brick types
  • Showing the YAML for existing bricks (even ones you don’t have write access for), so you can use them as a basis for your own creations
3 Likes